- Every Scout and Scouter joining Knot Masters will be given a test by a Knot Owl and will be assigned the appropriate starting level and rope. Ropes are worn on the left side of scout belt secured with a Larks head
- When a Scout or Scouter proves ready for advancement by tying all the knots of the next level (and all prior levels), as witnessed by two member of that level or higher, the old colored rope will be traded in for a a rope of the color of the next level.
- At any time not interfering with other activities, a member may challenge another of equal or lower level. If unable to tie all knots (three attempts each knot), the member shall be demoted to the next lower level for not less than one week. Disagreements shall be resolved by an adult Knot Owl. A member cannot be challenged or reduced in level more than once per week.
- A member of any level may earn the supplemental qualifications of Lasher and Maker, and shall wear the rope with an overhand knot for each.
- Standard Rope is para cord 1.3m (4 ft) long.
- Ropes used as a whip are confiscated.